17 May Sunshine Coast Hinterland Great Expedition
The Sunshine Coast Hinterland Great Walk wraps around QCCC Mapleton, the base for QCCC Expeditions. Gorges, waterfalls, rock pools, scenic views, warm subtropical rainforest and tall open eucalypt forest feature on this Great Walk through Kondalilla, Mapleton Falls and Mapleton national parks. Wildlife recorded in this area includes more than 100 species of birds, about 70 reptile species and more than 30 frog species.
QCCC has recently secured an increased permit for the area from the National Parks and Wildlife Service as well as the lease of the former Scout Camp on Kondalilla Falls Road from Sunshine Coast Regional Council. By combining this with camping grounds at Mapleton, the expedition potential of this Great Walk for school groups is able to be realised.
The Great Walk’s multiple access points offer diverse walking opportunities on its 58km of trail.
Highlights of Expeditions in this area include:
- Access to 25km of the Sunshine Coast Hinterland Great Walk;
- Exclusive camping areas at night with wet weather back-up (QCCC Mapleton and Flaxton Scout Camp);
- Optional accommodation in bedrooms for accompanying teachers;
- Cultural Presentation from Gubbi Gubbi elders in the evening;
- Opportunity for an Outdoor Movie on QCCC’s Skyview Cinema Screen
- Quality Facilitation from QCCC, winner of the 2013 QORF Award for Excellence in Outdoor Education, accredited provider of the Duke of Edinburgh program;
- The opportunity to build the Duke of Edinburgh Expedition format sequentially.
For information on QCCC’s Expeditions programs contact QCCC Mapleton:
Tel: (07) 5456 3600